Stan and Karen World Cruise

Stan and Karen World Cruise

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Abu Dhabi


Abu Dhabi is a very new city - mostly built since 1960. We saw the Heritage Village briefly - interesting glimpse of a few old buildings (moved here from other locations) and some workshops. We had a picture stop at the Emirates Palace Hotel and the newest royal palace under construction.

Then we went past many royal family residences (photos not allowed) and to the new mosque, which was the main sight we wanted to see - but I was not allowed into it (along with about 10 others). I had carefully worn my longest skirt but it wasn't totally opaque. I don't think of it as see-through at all, but the "guards" had total authority. They actually restricted us to the bus, but that's better than being locked off the bus (it's well air conditioned :). Hopefully Stan isn't too concerned since he may not know I'm not with him. I tried to put a wrap skirt around mine, but it still wasn't ok. A definite disappointment, but not the first time I couldn't go in someplace (other place was orthodox monastery on Lesvos Island, Greece - men only).

At least Stan takes wonderful pictures - I hope he takes lots so I can see it that way.

Our next spot is the one we didn't really care about, so it's been a bit of a disappointing day.

The ship gave us information about appropriate dress but it really wasn't quite specific enough, in my opinion, especially since they said they have cover-up outfits we could borrow if needed, but that option wasn't offered. I later heard from persons on other buses that it was the same situation, but apparently those who arrive individually did not have the same strict requirements.

No comments:

Post a Comment